Sunday 2 February 2014

Songs about running (2): Running Up That Hill

So it was a muddy Saturday morning yesterday and I went for my usual 5k parkrun in Hilly Fields. Due to flooding part of the course is closed which means a diversion and an even longer run up that hill than usual. Not only that but the lower reaches of the hill are getting like a bog so that the foot has to be lifted from the mud. 

There's only one song that will do and that's.... 'Running Up that Hill' by Kate Bush

And if I only could, 
I'd make a deal with God, 
And I'd get him to swap our places, 
Be running up that road, 
Be running up that hill, 
With no problems.



Kate Bush actually lived very near to Hilly Fields in Wickham Road at the start of her career, so no doubt visited the park. No evidence that she ran there though! In fact while I think that running is the height of cool, some people are too cool to run and I imagine Kate Bush is one of them. But the song did feature in the closing ceremony for the 2012 London Olympics, a new version of it being played while the dancers/performers built an actual hill (well it was more of a pyramid really).




No comments:

Post a Comment